Vets aren’t sure what causes bloat, but there are some things that raise a dog’s risk for it, including:
- Eating from a raised food bowl
- Having one large meal a day
- Eating quickly
- A lot of running or playing after he eats
- Other dogs he’s related to have had bloat
- Eating or drinking too much
Any dog can have bloat, but it’s much more common in deep-chested, largebreeds, like Akitas, Boxers, Bassett Hounds, and German Shepherds. Some are at a higher risk than others, including Great Danes, Gordon Setters, Irish Setters, Weimaraners, and St. Bernards.